Imperfecto

9.22.2009 by Curtis Wright



House
Paul Oakenfold
Perfecto Vegas
(Thrive)
**1/2

Let me admit something right off the bat: I know nothing about house music. Nothing. So I don’t know whether I sound like a philistine when I say every track on Paul Oakenfold’s Perfecto Vegas sounds so insanely similar that I cannot differentiate between any of them. Very energetic and often quite trippy, the album certainly evokes a time and a place. Call me ignorant (no, seriously — do it) but aside from a few interspersed trippy moments and pulsating beats, Perfecto Vegas is nothing but buildups and slowdowns. And yet house devotees adore Oakenfold. Why can’t I do the same? Perhaps it’s like my feelings about the Grateful Dead: I can’t help but feel like I’m missing out on something. Am I not on the right drugs? Or am I not sitting in the right posh lounge, swallowing enough high-priced drinks? And if I’m not, could someone please take me there? And could you buy my drinks as well? These CD reviews don’t pay much.

CURTIS WRIGHT

Filed under having  

0 comments: